Updated by Susannah Locke on July 16, 2014, 2:40 p.m. ET
Sexual harassment and assault are problems that no one should have to deal with in the workplace. And according to one new study, even science isn’t immune to such problems.
“The study is the most in-depth look yet at sexual harassment in science”
The paper, published in PLOS ONE, surveyed more than 600 anthropologists, archaeologists, biologists, zoologists, and other scientists about their experiences while doing fieldwork away from the university.
And the picture was disturbing — there were many experiences of sexual harassment and assault, as well as little awareness of how to report abuses.
Now, the survey was not a random sampling of researchers — so this can’t be used to extrapolate the frequency of sexual harassment. But it’s the best existing data set yet on harassment and assault within science. And the data suggests that this indeed an issue in need of closer attention.
Study: Sexual harassment is a real problem in science
By Riley Snyder
A former Twitter employee is suing the company, alleging that the social media giant fired him for being too old.
The lawsuit was filed by former Twitter employee Peter Taylor, who alleged he was fired last year with no warning and a month after the then-57-year-old underwent surgery to remove kidney stones.
The suit says Taylor saved Twitter millions of dollars during its data center expansion and met all performance review standards before he was fired and replaced by workers in their 20s and 30s.
Taylor, who worked as Twitter’s manager of data center deployment, said in the suit that his supervisor made “at least one critical remark” about his age during the firing. He also alleged that the company, based in San Francisco, refused to accommodate his needs after the kidney-stone surgery and assigned him additional work during his recovery process.
In a statement, Twitter said it would fight the lawsuit.
Former Twitter employee alleges age discrimination in lawsuit
Kip Hill The Spokesman-Review
Whitman County’s longtime assessor is in federal court in Spokane this week, fighting a sexual harassment lawsuit brought by an employee.
Joe Reynolds, who has served as assessor in Whitman County since 1991, described his office as “loose” and that employees “talked nasty at times,” according to court filings. Yet Brenda Arthur, who started working for the office in 2000, says Reynolds crossed the line, touching her inappropriately and making several sexually explicit remarks during the past several years. The alleged harassment prompted Arthur to request time off and to seek medical help for physical and emotional distress.
Whitman County investigated Arthur’s harassment allegations in 2010. It was the third such complaint against Reynolds, according to court records.
Whitman County assessor faces sexual harassment lawsuit
By John Caniglia, The Plain Dealer on July 16, 2014 at 2:00 PM
CLEVELAND, Ohio – Cleveland has settled a federal lawsuit for an undisclosed amount of money with the families of Timothy Russell and Malissa Williams, who were killed after a 2012 car chase in which police officers fired 137 shots at Russell’s car, a judge said Wednesday.
U.S. District Judge Dan Aaron Polster said in documents that the settlement is dependent upon a judge’s approval in Cuyahoga County Probate Court, where the estates were set up to oversee any awards from the lawsuit. A probate judge would decide whether the settlement is fair and just. Nothing had been filed on it Wednesday.
“The court held a settlement conference with clients and counsel on July 14,” Polster wrote. “As a result of negotiations, the above captioned case has settled, subject to Probate Court approval.”Cleveland settles federal lawsuit with families of police chase victims Timothy Russell, Malissa Williams
Cleveland settles federal lawsuit with families of police chase victims Timothy Russell, Malissa Williams
By Christy Gutowski Tribune reporter 2:02 p.m. CDT, July 15, 2014
A Naperville teen who struck two pedestrians during a driver’s education class last year has been named in a recent lawsuit.
The student is accused in a DuPage County lawsuit of striking a teen and her friend last July 12, 2013 in Naperville. The suit also names the father of the motorist, since she is a minor, and Indian Prairie School District 204, which owns the vehicle involved in the accident.
According to the police report, the 15-year-old Waubonsie Valley High School student had just made a right turn when she “somehow kept pressing the gas pedal instead of the brake” and lost control.
Naperville student sued for striking pedestrians in driver’s ed class
A Kansas City woman launches the latest lawsuit against Monster Energy Drink.
Heather Felts said her husband, Shane, died after consuming about one energy drink a day for two weeks.
The drink’s manufacturer, she said, touts the energy drink as a dietary supplement when there are few to no documented health benefits.
Felts said her husband consumed Monster Energy Drinks for just two weeks.
Kansas City woman files lawsuit against Monster Energy Drink after husband’s death
By The Associated Press on July 13, 2014
READING, Pa. (AP) — An insurance company that was tongue-lashed in a decision last month by a Pennsylvania judge is contesting his ruling that it pay $18 million in punitive damages after a long court battle over faulty repairs to a family’s vehicle in 1996.
Nationwide Mutual Insurance Co. on Friday asked Berks County Judge Jeffrey K. Sprecher to reconsider a decision believed to be the largest punitive award ever handed down in Pennsylvania in a lawsuit accusing an insurer of bad faith, the Philadelphia Inquirer (http://bit.ly/1nkxYqP ) reported Sunday.
Sprecher ruled in June that he agreed with Daniel and Sherri Berg that Nationwide had concealed evidence about faulty repairs to their Jeep Grand Cherokee, tried to cover up the conduct of its employees and relied on a strategy to discourage policyholder challenges in court by artificially inflating the cost of suing the company.
Lawsuit over 1996 car crash leads to $18 million award
Comic and actor Tracy Morgan files suit against Walmart over a New Jersey highway crash
Actor Tracy Morgan has been released from a rehabilitation center and will continue his recovery at home, a representative for the comedian said Saturday.
The news came after Morgan filed a lawsuit against Walmart Stores Inc. over the New Jersey highway crash that left one man dead and several injured last month.
The lawsuit, filed Thursday in U.S. District Court in New Jersey by Morgan and three other survivors of the crash, claims Walmart was negligent when the driver of one of its tractor trailers struck Morgan’s limousine.
James McNair, 63, a comedian better known by his stage name, Jimmy Mack, died in the accident.
The lawsuit alleges that “Walmart knew or should have known” that Kevin Roper, the 35-year-old Georgia man who was driving the tractor trailer, had been awake for more than 24 consecutive hours when the crash occurred.
Roper has been charged with one count of death by auto and four counts of assault by auto in the wreck. He entered a not guilty plea.
Tracy Morgan released from care, files lawsuit against Walmart
A suburban mother has filed a lawsuit claiming an elementary-school student bullied and beat up her son, a third-grader at the same Mount Prospect school.
In the lawsuit, which also identifies the boy as a plaintiff, Deveri Del Core, claims there was “continuous” bullying of her son throughout the 2013-14 school year. The lawsuit filed in Cook County Circuit Court Tuesday said the boy was hit, punched, choked, elbowed, kicked, pushed, tripped and spat on on a weekly basis by another student.
Both were third-grade students at Robert Frost Elementary School in Mount Prospect, although the two boys were in different classes.
The lawsuit also names the Wheeling-based Community Consolidated School District 21, Frost Elementary School Principal Jeffrey Brusso, and the alleged bully’s parents.
Mom sues third-grader and parents for alleged bullying
Man seeks surveillance footage and witness statements from jail
A man who was trapped in a room for more than 30 hours while trying to visit his son at Cook County Jail over the weekend is seeking surveillance footage and witness statements ahead of a potential lawsuit against the county.
Farad Polk visited the jail early Saturday evening to see his son, who shares the same name, according to the petition for discovery filed Thursday in Cook County Circuit Court.
His son had been transferred from the Division 11 holding area at 3015 S. Calfornia Blvd. to Division 9 — an area he’d never been to — which is on the compound of the jail at 2854 W. 31st St, according to Cara Smith, executive director of the jail.
Father Trapped in County Jail Considers Lawsuit