Family sues restaurant over seventh-grader’s fatal food allergy
Chinese food at school’s end-of-year party had peanuts or peanut oil, lab says
March 18, 2011|By Joel Hood, TRIBUNE REPORTER
The family of a Chicago Public Schools seventh-grader who died last year after an allergic reaction to peanuts at a school party has filed a wrongful-death suit against the Chinese restaurant that provided the meal, claiming the student’s teacher told the restaurant to avoid peanut products.
Gil Ross, an attorney for the family of Katelyn Carlson, 13, said CPS officials told them they had been aware of Carlson’s severe peanut allergy even though that information was not part of the student’s health profile. The suit claims that Carlson’s teacher, Jack Matsumoto, asked employees at the Chinese Inn Restaurant to make sure peanut products such as oils and sauces were not used in preparing the meals for a Dec. 17 party at Edison Regional Gifted Center in Albany Park.